The AST Level 1+ course based in Whistler BC, is designed to apprise what we feel is a gap in conventional avalanche skills training and actually getting out into terrain with the knowledge and skills to shred safely. The theory being, why learn about avalanche terrain and not the accompanying movement and travel skills. This is why we incorporate split-board specific skills in fun terrain, allowing you to find the goods and ride it safely. Of course, all of this comes with a Corvus twist that speaks to the nuances of backcountry travel on a board. Whatever your current level, this course will teach you everything you need to know – so you can enjoy the backcountry safely and self-assured.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the basics of avalanche formation and release.
- Identify avalanche terrain.
- Know the steps required to plan and carry out a trip.
- Use the Avaluator™ as a decision-making tool in areas where trips are rated using the Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale (ATES) and where Avalanche Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins are available.
- Find resources for obtaining ATES terrain ratings if their trip is not rated.
- Find resources for obtaining Avalanche Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins if these are not available.
- Use appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain.
- Carry out a companion rescue.
- Understand the limits of their training.
For those new to backcountry snowboarding or with limited experience. Riding ability is necessary.
Course material, 2.5 days of instruction.
What’s Not Included
Gear rental (if necessary we can provide this service for an extra fee), lift ticket (backcountry passes available for $61), transportation.
Why This Course?
We are Canadas only snowboard specific guiding operation. When choosing your next snowboard trip this winter, ask yourself; Does this company/the people involved, love what they do? Does their passion for snowboarding shine through to my experience? Passion is the foundation of our life and our profession. The reason we book and run this course is so we can provide the best experience possible for split-boarders. We are passionate for backcountry snowboarding in this area, and we want to share it with you.
Upcoming Course Dates
Whistler 2018/2019 dates
December 1, 2
December 8, 9
December 15, 16
December 22, 23
December 29, 30
January 5, 6
January 19, 20
February 2, 3
February 16, 17
Cost $289 + 5% GST
* Please note that if applicable a backcountry pass will need to be purchased for the portions of the course taken place in the Whistler Backcountry. Tickets are available for $61 +GST