The AST Level 1+ course based in Whistler BC, is designed to apprise what we feel is a gap in conventional avalanche skills training and actually getting out into terrain with the knowledge and skills to shred safely. The theory being, why learn about avalanche terrain and not the accompanying movement and travel skills. This is why we incorporate split-board specific skills in fun terrain, allowing you to find the goods and ride it safely. Of course, all of this comes with a Corvus twist that speaks to the nuances of backcountry travel on a board. Whatever your current level, this course will teach you everything you need to know – so you can enjoy the backcountry safely and self-assured.
To ensure your time is best spent learning and in the backcountry, we will start with a 3 – 6-hour online course which can be completed at any time before your course. This course will cover all the content of the backcountry days so you are prepared to get the most out of your days. Learn more about online course portion.
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the basics of avalanche formation and release.
- Identify avalanche terrain.
- Know the steps required to plan and carry out a trip.
- Use the Avaluator™ as a decision-making tool in areas where trips are rated using the Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale (ATES) and where Avalanche Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins are available.
- Find resources for obtaining ATES terrain ratings if their trip is not rated.
- Find resources for obtaining Avalanche Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins if these are not available.
- Use appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain.
- Carry out a companion rescue.
- Understand the limits of their training.
For those new to backcountry snowboarding or with limited experience. Riding ability is necessary.
Course material, Online course access for 90 days, 2 days of backcountry instruction.
What’s Not Included
Gear rental (if necessary we can provide this service for an extra fee), lift ticket , transportation.
Why This Course?
We are Canadas only snowboard specific guiding operation. When choosing your next snowboard trip this winter, ask yourself; Does this company/the people involved, love what they do? Does their passion for snowboarding shine through to my experience? Passion is the foundation of our life and our profession. The reason we book and run this course is so we can provide the best experience possible for split-boarders. We are passionate for backcountry snowboarding in this area, and we want to share it with you.