The AST Level 2 is a course that takes you to bigger mountains, further places, and wilder terrain. So if you’re looking to take it a few steps further -literally- then this is the course for you. Experience four and a half days of hands-on Avalanche Skills Training in the backcountry. Immersed in challenging and complex terrain to push and expand your backcountry knowledge, the AST 2 course builds upon participants’ backcountry experiences by focusing on observational tools and experiential decision making. Of course, all of this comes with a Corvus twist that speaks to the nuances of backcountry travel on a board. Whatever your current level, this course will teach you everything you need to know – so you can enjoy the backcountry safely and self-assured.
Participants of the AST 2 course shift from rule-based decision making to experiential decision making. We focus on tools that will leverage your past experiences with observational tools in the field to make safe decisions in avalanche terrain. The AST 2 course covers advanced snow assessment, decision-making process, group management and advanced travel techniques.
Avalanche Skills Training
- Use the Avaluator™ as a filtering tool to determine when additional planning and travel techniques are required to travel safely.
- Be familiar with Avalanche Danger Rating verification techniques for personal use on a local scale.
- Be familiar with the ATES technical model as a means to develop personal, local terrain ratings.
- Use route finding to take advantage of nuances in terrain to manage personal risk.
- Use travel techniques in avalanche terrain appropriate to the avalanche conditions.
- Proficiently carry out a companion rescue. Understand the limits of their training
This course is the next step in your Avalanche Skills Training. Participants must have completed an AST 1 (or equivalent) or have permission from instructors based on your past backcountry experience. It is also recommended participants have a minimum of 20 days touring experience.
Course material, 4.5 days of instruction.
What’s Not Included
Gear rental (if necessary we can provide this service for an extra fee), lift ticket (backcountry passes available for $59), Transportation.
Why This Course?
We are Canadas only snowboard specific guiding operation. When choosing your next snowboard trip this winter, ask yourself; Does this company/the people involved, love what they do? Does their passion for snowboarding shine through to my experience? Passion is the foundation of our life and our profession. The reason we book and run this course is so we can provide the best experience possible for split-boarders. We are passionate for backcountry snowboarding in this area, and we want to share it with you.
Upcoming Course Dates
Whistler 2019/2020 dates
December 19 – 22
Cost $595 + 5% GST
* Please note that if applicable a backcountry pass will need to be purchased for the portions of the course taken place in the Whistler Backcountry. Tickets are available for $59 +GST